That's Cool - by Heat

Sunday, September 5, 2010

#2 Responding to Chapters 3 & 4

Chapter 3 was a lot more interesting than I expected it to be, and I learned more from it than I thought I would. I have to admit that I didn't realize there was so much to writing a rough draft of a paper, but now that I've read the chapter, it definitely makes sense. I liked how it explained that one should write the entire paper in one sitting because you can get your thoughts out and organize it later. Writing is much more of a process than I realized it would be. The suggestions for how to write an introduction was so helpful because I'm never quite sure how I should start a paper. I also liked that there is a way to convey supporting details-for instance, giving descriptions, narrating it and then to give examples of whatever the subject is...This book is more helpful than I would've guessed, I'm almost not sad I spent so much money on it. I'm going to have to copy the transitions chart because I do sometimes have a hard time coming up with a way to lead into a new paragraph or topic, etc. In addition to not knowing how to start an essay, I also don't ever know how to end it...Do I restate my topic in a different way? Would that just be boring and redundant?...Yes, probably. I thought it was interesting how much it emphasizes not making your audience feel like idiots.
Chapter 4 was more interesting to me. I realized that it's about adding description because it enthralls the reader and makes them want to read more. It makes them more interested because no one likes to read something without sensory descriptions. I liked how it was defined-"Description can entertain, convey feelings, relate experience, inform and persuade. The excerpt from "Struck by Lightning" was very descriptive and it made me notice the importance of adding it, as long as it's not just filler. I also noticed how much I use description outside of writing papers...I talk a lot and add "like" more often than I should, but description is important. The hard part is just knowing what description to add as well as what to leave out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home