That's Cool - by Heat

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

#1 How I Feel About Reading and Writing

After reading chapter one in Patterns for a Purpose, I felt a little overwhelmed, and I have to admit, slightly disappointed in myself. I've always considered myself someone that is a fairly decent writer, but after reading the do's and don'ts of writing and critical thinking, I realized that I'm not as good as I thought.
I also noticed that I, unknowingly, often use errors in logic. I often overgeneralize and oversimplify subjects, either to make it easier to understand or out of laziness. But the biggest problem that I noticed I do in writing is referring to an authority or study but I don't always name it.
I liked the idea that "critical readers never dig in their heels and refuse to rethink their ideas in light of new evidence or insights." I often read articles in the news and try to learn new things and I like to alter or even change my opinion when I read something new and more up to date.
One of my favorite down time activities is reading because I hardly have to think about what I'm reading, but, unfortunately, that way of thinking often carries over to my homework of reading out of textbooks. I am easily distracted and I find textbooks, in general, boring. When I finished chapter one, I thought it was interesting how much I learned about my reading techniques and writing skills. I found that if I apply critical thinking to more aspects of my life, I will probably like reading textbooks more (although I don't know if it is possible to fully enjoy reading them) and I will become a better and more mature writer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home